This configuration property sets a telephone number (including characters used for control) used for dialing a data modem. The telephone number is a nul-terminated string with optional ASCII control characters.
Support for the following ASCII control characters is required:
- Digits 0-9 plus * and # – telephone dialing digits.
Support for the following ASCII control characters is specified but optional (if the corresponding function is to be implemented, it must be done so using the following specified character):
- Letter T (upper or lower case, first character in string only) – Tone dial.
- Letter P (upper or lower case, first character in string only) – Pulse dial.
- Comma (,) – pause dialing for 2 seconds for each comma encountered.
- Letter W (upper or lower case) – Pause dialing until a dial tone is detected.
- Exclamation Point (!) – Hookflash, go on-hook for 0.5 seconds, then back off-hook.
Support of any other characters/functions in the dial string is considered optional. If an optional character is encountered in the string which is not supported by a particular implementation (including but not limited to punctuation such as space, dash, left and right parentheses), that character must be ignored, rather than causing an error condition.
The default value shall be an empty string.